Poison Ivy allergy and Mango

Poison ivy allergy is a form of allergic contact dermatitis that develops after contact to the plant’s chemical Urushiol. This form of a rash is usually delayed, occuring 24-48 hours after contact to the offending agent. The skin irritation can range from mild irritation to open sores with blisters.

If one has poison ivy allergy and enjoys eating mangoes. One has to be careful from biting into the mango peel which also contains uroshiol. One can develop blisters around the lips when eating mango fruit that way. The fruit portion itself however, is safe and contains no uroshiol. Therefore the best way to prepare mango for consumption if one has poison ivy allergy is by using gloves to remove the peel before eating.

Advertisements

Comments Off on Poison Ivy allergy and Mango

Filed under Skin

Comments are closed.